Monday, January 10, 2011

And then there were two (plus one)

In light of the posting frenzy of late, I feel it is necessary to explain the conspicuous absence of the third member of the team in all of the (stunning) photographs. It is with sadness and probably later regret that I (Anna G) have left the bike gang. After arriving in El Chalten and swapping back our various belongings I bid the team farewell as they were to embark upon the journey to the Carreterra Austral in Chile. I had decided that this would be the end of the team journey for me, for a number of reasons. Largely because (and not surprisingly to those who know me) I am a wimp with a decidedly inadequate road bicycle and an even more inferior body so I decided I would rather avoid this notoriously nasty piece of road and keep my bike and unfit body in one piece.

Another compelling reason for me to part from the team, however, was that although the journey so far has been great and proved to be an awesome physical challenge, I felt that I wasn't encountering the social, cultural and linguistic challenges that I had envisaged at the start of this trip. Although we were cycling through some stunning places I felt that the safety and comfort of travelling in a team of three afforded me little opportunity to interact more with the no doubt interesting local latinos and latinas that were along the way. So I have decided to continue to cycle, but to also mix up my trip with bouts of bussing, volunteering and WWOOFing (working on organic farms) and hopefully some couch surfing with locals in the bigger towns.

Since leaving the team I have been for a four-day tramp in the Fitz Roy mountains and now wait for a bus to transport me and my bike further north in Argentina. I have already had the pleasure of meeting a few crazy Argentinians and some lovely other solo travellers so I feel excited about the next phase of my journey. My loose plans from here involve some time spent in the Argentinian lakes district around El Bolson, Bariloche and San Martin de los Andes then to cross back to Chile and high-tail (high-wheel?) it up to Santiago, hopefully in time to meet back up with the heroic athletes Anna and Ben. But, again as those that know me will be well aware, my plans tend to change daily so who knows?? It is all part of the adventure of a solo journey.

So I wish a whole-hearted good luck and god speed to Anna and Ben, who I am sure will show that Carreterra Austral who is boss. See you brave and crazy cats in Santiago! Arohanui xx

1 comment:

  1. "couch surfing"

    Certainly something I can sympathise with :-)

    ReplyDelete